The 360 virtual tours of the Regional Science Centre and Planetarium, Calicut help us to watch the Planetarium and its facilities from the comfort of our homes!
Regional Science Centre & Planetarium Calicut a unit of the National Council of Science Museums coming under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India is engaged in the dissemination of Science and Technology through interactive exhibitions. The centre provides a perfect ambience for exploring science through hands-on expositions. It provides a plethora of activities to inculcate a scientific attitude.
A planetarium is precisely meant to educate people about the objects in the sky, and their relative movements by simulating the night sky of a particular place at a particular time. Calicut Planetarium is recently equipped with hybrid planetarium technology, which is the integration of optomechanical projection and full dome digital high-definition projection. Opto-mechanical projection gives us an uncompromising virtual night sky and digital all-dome projection provides us startling full-dome movie graphics using nine numbers JVC DLA RS 65 projectors, which have a high resolution of 1920 X 1080 pixels and a brightness of 1200 ANSI lumens. Powerdome is a powerful software to integrate optomechanical and digital projections.
HALL OF ASTRONOMY
This gallery depicts the development of Astronomy through the ages. It consists of four sections: 1. Pre-telescopic era 2. Post telescopic era 3. Earth and Moon 4. In search of Cosmic Truth. It captures our imagination through a surfeit of working models, still models, statues of astronomers and colour visuals to give a complete picture of this fast-developing branch of science. Visitors can know their weights on other planets, stand under the polar sky, position themselves in space to view the solar system, control a rover on planet Mars and much more.
Hall of Ocean
The ‘Hall of Ocean’ gallery is developed with the following objectives:
- To inspire awe for how vast, diverse, and unexplored the ocean is, and for how fundamentally different it is from land.
- To provide a unique and engaging experience that demonstrates how the ocean works and how it is interconnected with other global systems.
- To demonstrate how life evolved in the ocean over billions of years and changed dramatically over time.
- To instil in students and lay public awareness of the great diversity of ocean habitats and ocean life, and of how much is still being discovered.
- To inform students and the lay public about the exciting technologies and other approaches used by scientists and ocean explorers to uncover the ocean’s mysteries.
- To inspire and empower students and the lay public to make the connection between the ocean and their daily lives, and to encourage them to continue exploring the ocean and to help conserve it.
This gallery is designed catering the following Ocean literacy principles:
- Earth has one big ocean with many features.
- The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of Earth.
- The ocean is a major influence on weather and climate.
- The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems.
- The ocean is largely unexplored
- The ocean and humans are inextricably linked.
MIRROR MAGIC GALLERY
This gallery is full of interest-stimulating interactive exhibits explaining scientific principles involved in mirror optics. Here the visitors can have several amazing experiences like floating in the air, vanishing images, tunnels of infinite depth etc. They can also walk through a maze created with mirrors as well as the dining with several images of their own in this exhibition.
FUN SCIENCE GALLERY
The gallery contains working exhibits to elucidate various theorems and phenomena in Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy and Environmental Science. People are given a free hand to operate the exhibits and learn for themselves.
LIFE SCIENCE CORNER
The main aim of this corner is to acquaint yourselves with aquatic creatures like turtles, colourful fishes, snails, crabs, prawns and non-aquatic creatures like the garden lizard, grasshoppers and so on.
About 35 science exhibits adorn the spacious science garden. Here students can play and learn many scientific principles by operating the exhibits in natural settings.
High Definition 3D THEATRE
RSC HD 3D THEATRE is fully air-conditioned with 100 seats and it also has a stepped seating facility. The visitors are exposed for around 20 minutes to the thrilling world of three-dimensional movies. The visitors will be provided with circular Polaroid goggles for experiencing 3D effects. Three films are screened each roughly six minutes in duration.
During summer vacation this centre conducts creativity classes in astronomy and rocket modelling, chemistry, electronics and Physics for high school students.
MOBILE SCIENCE EXHIBITION ON ‘POPULAR SCIENCE’
This unit contains 20 working exhibits fitted in a bus, which is aimed to propagate science in rural areas.
SKY OBSERVATION PROGRAMME
During January, February and March the centre organizes a sky observation programme for the general public from 6.30 pm. to 8 pm. Visitors can view various celestial objects through the sophisticated German Telescope.
OTHER EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Science Demonstration lectures
- Popular lectures by eminent scientists
- Science Seminars
Students can become members of this centre by paying Rs.25/- per year. They can utilize various facilities. Individuals, teachers and family memberships are also available.
For amateurs and the interested public, an astronomy club is functioning at this Centre. An amount of Rs.100/- is charged as an annual membership fee per individual.
GUIDELINES FOR THE VISIT
The centre opens from 10.30 am. to 6.30 pm. on all days except Onam and Deepavali
Science Centre, Planetarium & 3D show : Rs.70w/- per head
Science Centre & Planetarium :Rs.60/- per head
Science Centre only: Rs.35/- per head
CONCESSIONAL RATE FOR SCHOOL GROUPS
Science Centre, Planetarium & 3D show : Rs.35/- per head
Science Centre & Planetarium : Rs.30/- per head
Science Centre only: Rs.20/- per head
Planetarium Show: 12 Noon, 2 pm, 4 pm & 6 pm
Duration: 30 Minutes
3D Show : 11am., 1pm., 3pm., & 5pm.,
Duration: 20 Minutes