Watch and share the 360-degree virtual reality tour of Mishkal Mosque, Muchundi Mosque, Juma Masjid Kuttichira
This mosque is built in the later 13th century and is named after the rich Yemen trader who built it. It resembles a ship primarily with four main floors with a mizzen floor. Other than the ground floor, the floors are supported by timber. The technology is believed to be from the Chinese because it must have been built after the arrival of the Chinese trader Zheng in 1404. The connection to the Chinese architecture is evident in the dragon/crocodile shaped wooden figures in the Mukhappu (front topmost portion).
When Vasco de Gama landed in the suburbs of Kozhikode, he was invited to the Muslim dominated area called Kuttichira. The only tall building he saw there was the Mishkal Mosque built by a Yemen trader. Gama glimpses all around and quips “all houses are as tall as my horse, done up with wooden rafters and palm leaves. “ Only the five-storied Mosque was oppressive to his eyes and soon he requested the Zamorin for a piece of land to build a church in the vicinity. He was given a place almost 800metres north; both almost have an equidistance from the sea.
This mosque is so called as three small lanes (Chandu in Tamil means narrow way or lane) meet where this mosque is situated. A black granite stone was found a few years ago which described in Vattezhuthu (ancient script of Kerala) and Arabic that the land along with a small adjoining area was given for the construction and maintenance of the mosque. It was a donation by the Zamorin, the rulers of the erstwhile Kozhikode Kingdom and dates to 13th century. Here also there is elaborate wood craftsmanship in the front courtyard. The prayers are conducted only on the ground floor though there is a second floor.
It is sprawling and can seat a thousand devotees on the ground floor. The entry into this mosque is by granite steps and a balustrade befitting a prestigious place. The woodwork on the roof at the entrance is etched with beautiful calligraphy in Arabic and on its side are the motifs of flowers and other designs as in ancient temples of that time. Huge wooden pillars support the roof at the entrance and inside. It is a solid work in timber which has withstood the ravages of the monsoon for long. The washing place is on the left side of the entrance. It was around 1345 that the first Khazi, Muslim priest started officiating here.